Author Topic: Learning Turkish Clarinet in Germany!  (Read 286 times)

Offline mirzafarangi

• Visitor
  • City: Marburg
  • First Name: Ashkan
  • Genre: Turkish
Learning Turkish Clarinet in Germany!
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm somehow excited to find finally the right place regarding my passion, Turkish clarinet, the great gtc  :tongue:

I play kamancheh and setar (Iranian instruments), though have no experience with wind instruments. Looking for a G clarinet, I l live in Germany and so far have found these two instruments via Amazon and Thomann however not sure whether they are the right one. would you guide me?

https://www.amazon.de/Tuyama%C2%AE-Klarinette-clarinet-deutsches-Klarinete/dp/B00ITS8S7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1516399558&sr=8-3&keywords=g+clarinet

https://www.thomann.de/de/thomann_ggcl_417_synthetic_g_clarinet.htm

And finally, the main question : ) Do you have any idea where can learn Turkish clarinet in Germany? via Skype, or...

Thanks in advance!

Offline a_hennig

• Team Member
  • City: Lansing
  • First Name: Arnold
  • Genre: Other
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:55:19 PM »
In the price range you are looking at you are only going to find beginner level instruments. Good ones are expensive and there's really no way to get around that. That said, a person has to start somewhere, and if you have to suffer through a beginner instrument to learn on, you will surely appreciate a good one when you are able to acquire it.

With that in mind, if I had to judge only on what I see on the websites (which, for me, is exactly the case - I have no way available to actually try them out), I would expect the Thomann to be the better choice of the two. I say this not because it is higher priced, but because of the differences in the keywork.

As to the question of where to get your instruction, there are others here who can perhaps point you in the right direction.

Offline mirzafarangi

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
Hey Hening,

Tnx for your helpful advice!
After a primary inquiry, I found out that „Amati ACL 340“ would be a good choice. Also, someone also told me that I can start with a Yamaha YCL 255 is a considerable options for at least a while. However, it’s not
a turkish one, but the price is more affordable for the beging. 

What is your opinion?

Offline a_hennig

• Team Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »

After a primary inquiry, I found out that „Amati ACL 340“ would be a good choice. Also, someone also told me that I can start with a Yamaha YCL 255 is a considerable options for at least a while. However, it’s not a turkish one, but the price is more affordable for the beging.

What is your opinion?

If your interest is in a G clarinet for Turkish music, the Yamaha is not the way to go. It is a Boehm (French) system instrument in Bb, not what you're looking for. (Though there are a very few notable exceptions, most people use the German fingering system for this genre.)

One of our members plays a Thomann, and has said that after some adjustments, it has served him well. He's made a couple of recordings with it, and he makes it sound pretty good. If price is a big issue (as it is for most of us), that would be a reasonable choice.

I play an Amati ACL 340 and I find it to be a very good instrument. It did need a couple of minor adjustments as I received it, and I found the supplied mouthpiece hard to play.

The mouthpiece issue is pretty common, though. You'll find the same issue if you buy the Thomann. I think very few clarinetists use the mouthpiece that came with their instrument. People ask each other, "What clarinet do you play, and what mouthpiece do you use with it?" Once you've selected your clarinet, I would really recommend that you have a teacher, or at least a salesperson who is also a technician (i.e. not just trying to make a buck), help you select a mouthpiece and reed combination to start out with.

Offline mirzafarangi

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
If your interest is in a G clarinet for Turkish music, the Yamaha is not the way to go. It is a Boehm (French) system instrument in Bb, not what you're looking for. (Though there are a very few notable exceptions, most people use the German fingering system for this genre.)

One of our members plays a Thomann, and has said that after some adjustments, it has served him well. He's made a couple of recordings with it, and he makes it sound pretty good. If price is a big issue (as it is for most of us), that would be a reasonable choice.

I play an Amati ACL 340 and I find it to be a very good instrument. It did need a couple of minor adjustments as I received it, and I found the supplied mouthpiece hard to play.

The mouthpiece issue is pretty common, though. You'll find the same issue if you buy the Thomann. I think very few clarinetists use the mouthpiece that came with their instrument. People ask each other, "What clarinet do you play, and what mouthpiece do you use with it?" Once you've selected your clarinet, I would really recommend that you have a teacher, or at least a salesperson who is also a technician (i.e. not just trying to make a buck), help you select a mouthpiece and reed combination to start out with.

Once again thanks for your guidance!  :beer:

Then I decided to go for Thomann GGCL 417. I’ll probably buy it online from Thomann website and as I haven’t still found a teacher for turkish clarinet (nearly all in my city teaches classical clarinet), would you please give me some advices for buying a mouthpiece too? (I looked for mouthpieces in Thomann website, and there were only Bb and Eb available.)
Thanks in advance!!

Offline Eleftarios

• GTC Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:19 PM »
A G clarinet uses the same mouthpiece as a Bb or A, so you can try anything that's readily available. There are countless discussions on this site about mouthpieces, so I won't jump in with my personal biases.

Offline warp x

• Website
  • City: Amsterdam
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:53:34 PM »
The Thomann comes with a mouthpiece but I would not recommend using that. Since you are a beginner at clarinet, just get a standard mouthpiece for now. A Vandoren B40 or 45 or M30 should be fine. As for a teacher, I have no idea. Good luck and have fun :)

Offline a_hennig

• Team Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
Eleftarios and WarpX have given you the best answers to your mouthpiece question, so "Good luck and have fun  :) "

FYI

Free clarinet
lessons brought

to you by GTC

Click Here for

Advanced Lessons

PT200 Coming Soon

Website Menu

GTC Theme Song
Help
Our Mission

GTC Photo Album