Author Topic: Conn Zyloid Bb Albert from the Vintage Clarinet Doctor  (Read 7628 times)

Offline Klarnetisto

• Music as spiritual discipline can still be a joy!
    • Timothy Tikker: Organist, Composer, Improviser
  • City: Ann Arbor
  • First Name: Timothy
Conn Zyloid Bb Albert from the Vintage Clarinet Doctor
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
Hi all,

I'd like to bring attention to this Albert on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Conn-Zyloid-Bb-LP-Albert-System-Clarinet-Overhauled-/140738616296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c4acdbe8

This seller restored my Triébert C Albert and did an exemplary job.  He has a great love for bringing fine old clarinets back to playing condition, and his abilities match his love!  I have no business connection with him, other than being a satisfied customer.

This Zyloid Albert has two advantages;

1) modest price

2) it's safe to play outdoors in any weather!
Klarnetisto

G Ramazan Kor, metal (12 keys, 2 rings)
A Clemens Wurlitzer (Oehler, 16/6), c. 1930
Bb Buffet (13/4), 1888 (unrestored)
C Triébert (13/2), c. 1890 (restored)
Eb C. G. Conn (15/5, hard rubber; unrestored)

Online Mporlos

• GTC King
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
Klarnetisto --- you are so right ! ... Jeremy is a real gentleman, a great guy, and from what I have heard/seen, an excellent craftsman. I have communicated with him many times. Thanks for posting this to forum's attention! .... Mporlos

Online Bass

• Administrator
  • GTC King
  • Me and Serkan Cagri
    • Pickups and Barrels
  • City: Temecula
  • First Name: Bass
  • Genre: Other
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
thanks for adding him to the seller good list.  100% feedback speaks volumes!
Amateur Clarinetist
--------------------------------------
Life is not worth living without music!
Temecula, California, USA

GTC Rules,
http://www.gtc-music1.com/forum/index.php/topic,4382.msg87882.html#msg87882

www.gtcmusic.com

Offline Kalakos

• Global Moderator
  • GTC King
  • Yiannis w/Stathi, w/klarino, w/Iordani, w/bouzouki
    • Greek Folk Music and Dance
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Klarnetisto --- you are so right ! ... Jeremy is a real gentleman, a great guy, and from what I have heard/seen, an excellent craftsman. I have communicated with him many times. Thanks for posting this to forum's attention! .... Mporlos
Yes, he is a good guy!
Kalakos
Kalakos
Daskalos

(For the Bouzouki Section I use the nick name "Daskalos" which was given to me by Zozef Terzivasian)

www.Kalakos.com
www.greekfolkmusicanddance.com

"Tha kaei o petros!!"

Offline electravox

• Favorite Member
  • Audio Nerd with a bad Clarinet habit.
  • First Name: Ed
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:50:53 AM »
I had my very first experience buying an albert from that that guy. NOT a positive experience. He described it as having a "big woody sound". The actual horn was not only unplayable but unrepairable. Multiple cracks. The bore on the upper joint was actually in a slight oval shape. It was clear that someone tried to separate two of the joints with a vise- tooth marks. None of this was evident by the pictures - artfully arranged to hide the flaws. He then pestered me to leave him positive feedback. I declined - citing the reasons stated above. His response? One word - "Bummer." 

Online Mporlos

• GTC King
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
I had my very first experience buying an albert from that that guy. NOT a positive experience. He described it as having a "big woody sound". The actual horn was not only unplayable but unrepairable. Multiple cracks. The bore on the upper joint was actually in a slight oval shape. It was clear that someone tried to separate two of the joints with a vise- tooth marks. None of this was evident by the pictures - artfully arranged to hide the flaws. He then pestered me to leave him positive feedback. I declined - citing the reasons stated above. His response? One word - "Bummer." 

...wow! ..... that is most definitely a terrible experience and waste of $$$ .... I have not purchased anything from him, only interacted through emails.  Man oh man, it's terrible he didnt do the right thing and give your money back ....

Offline electravox

• Favorite Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:59:24 AM »
Let me just say that this was back in 2004 or so - it's been a while. And there was no buyer protection back then. It was a no returns auction. I didn't expect perfection but I certainly did not expect THAT. Live and learn!:) I prefer to hear all about the flaws these days - and then decide.

Online Mporlos

• GTC King
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
Let me just say that this was back in 2004 or so - it's been a while. And there was no buyer protection back then. It was a no returns auction. I didn't expect perfection but I certainly did not expect THAT. Live and learn!:) I prefer to hear all about the flaws these days - and then decide.

totally agree -- honesty is always the best way to proceed. mention everything and then the individual can decide what they want to do ....

Offline zephyris

• Still Nuts about GTC
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:27 PM »
he seems to be very knowledgeable and prides himself highly on his abilities. i think his prices are a tad too high but he has overhead to consider just like every business man.

one thing i can say about clarinets on ebay is trial and error.. ideally it would be best to play test a horn before you spend money.. with alberts unfortunately we cant and most are in the condition they were left in almost 75 maybe more years ago.. however if you compare the price you take on that chance its very small in comparison to what a new clarinet costs today. win some lose some.. if you dont like to take chances ebays not the place as there are sellers who suck but many times the people selling have no way of knowing anything about what they are selling (that can be good and bad)  :grin:

Offline kokonis

• GTC Star
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:09:08 AM »
I agree that this  Conn Zyloid Bb Albert is overpriced in both make and what its made of.

Offline vintage clarinet doctor

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Hi Folks,

I found this site when searching my business name (the Vintage Clarinet Doctor) on Google and, based on the nature of a few of the comments, felt moved to register so I could respond with my perspective!

Electravox, I'm sorry that you feel you had a bad transaction with me, but I have mixed feelings about seeing  my work and reputation defamed on a public forum. I don't remember our transaction, as that was 8 years ago, but would like to say 2 things: First, that was the first year of my apprenticeship and I had a lot to learn, both about vintage clarinets and about doing business online. I believe that my subsequent 2,000+ positive feedbacks on ebay and the page of worldwide customer testimonials on my website attest to the quality of my work and customer service from that time forward. Second, that there might be more to this tale than is represented in one side of it, but I will forbear to offer some of the possibilities on a public forum. If you would like to contact me through my website, I would be happy to see what can be done to set things right.

Kokonis, its hard to know how to respond to people who feel that my prices are too high, as I don't know what objective baseline is being used to make that evaluation. Given that new Yamaha plastic student clarinets retail @ $600+, I feel that $375 for a fully overhauled c. 100 year old Albert system is pretty reasonable! However, I will give everyone the restorer's perspective and let them decide. The price includes:

-search time on ebay
 -purchase price + shipping
 -full overhaul (about 6 hours) including swedging and countersinking of mechanism, buffing of keys and posts, all new pads, corks, and regilding of logos (where possible)
 -cost of materials, including pads, cork, cement, glue, buffing compound and wheels and shipping for same
 -photographing and editing, listing writeup, and posting the instrument on Facebook, ebay and my website
 -answering questions, packing time and materials, shipping time/gas
 -finally, all the fees associated with ebay, paypal, and the cost of maintaining a website

That's the general baseline - sometimes the overhaul time is much greater, depending on complexity and condition. How to set a value to all this? I believe that my prices are fair, for the quality of my work, time invested, and in comparison to comparable merchandise that I see on the market. Please remember, its one thing for a hobbyist to throw a set of pads in an old clarinet and put it up on ebay for $150 - that may be what its worth - but another thing for the work involved to be done in a thorough and professional manner, guaranteeing optimal playability for years to come. They may look the same, but...

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and consider my perspective! I love what I do and hope to continue doing it for years to come. That being said, the business is a tough one, (especially in this economy) so please don't make it any harder by posting things that you wouldn't enjoy seeing written about yourself or your own trade.
                                                     Best wishes, Jeremy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:43:45 AM by vintage clarinet doctor »

Offline Kalakos

• Global Moderator
  • GTC King
  • Yiannis w/Stathi, w/klarino, w/Iordani, w/bouzouki
    • Greek Folk Music and Dance
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Jeremy, welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy it here. Thanks for your explanations.
Kalakos
(John)
Kalakos
Daskalos

(For the Bouzouki Section I use the nick name "Daskalos" which was given to me by Zozef Terzivasian)

www.Kalakos.com
www.greekfolkmusicanddance.com

"Tha kaei o petros!!"

Offline electravox

• Favorite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
Saying I had a bad experience isn't defamation. I'm certainly not judging the quality of your work either - the instrument I bought 8 years ago was never represented as being in good repair. The listing did imply that it was playable. I purchased it knowing full well that it might not really be playable and that moreover there was no warranty to that effect, and that the sale was final.  The dissatisfaction lay mostly with our subsequent interaction about feedback.  (I didn't leave any, positive or negative)
That said I'm sorry to cause you distress with my comments above. If I could, I would delete them, because 8 years is indeed plenty of time to become both a better ebay seller - the professional quality of your listings and your website, in addition to your many positive feedbacks attest to that. And buyer too - now I have learned to ask questions, especially if no flaws are listed. And if photos aren't detailed enough I will occasionally ask for more.  Buying an Albert is a crapshoot! Now I have to wonder if this "angies list" of good or bad sellers is such a good idea. Bass had a terrible experience with a seller whom I had a perfectly pleasant transaction with - customer service-wise at least. Everyone has their moments - good and bad - and at the end of the day it's good to have another repairman on board who actually likes Alberts.

Online Bass

• Administrator
  • GTC King
  • Me and Serkan Cagri
    • Pickups and Barrels
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12:33 PM »
welcome here Jeremy, not sure if you noticed but you are listed in the Good Guys List at GTC.  there are allots of dishonest people out there and few honest ones, this is why we created this section is to help our member from being scammed.  i been burned few times by eBay sellers so i know how frustrating it is, and by creating this section we are not only helping our GTC'ers but also the good guys like you on eBay.
Amateur Clarinetist

GTC Rules,

www.gtcmusic.com

Online Bass

• Administrator
  • GTC King
  • Me and Serkan Cagri
    • Pickups and Barrels
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:13:19 PM »
Saying I had a bad experience isn't defamation. I'm certainly not judging the quality of your work either - the instrument I bought 8 years ago was never represented as being in good repair. The listing did imply that it was playable. I purchased it knowing full well that it might not really be playable and that moreover there was no warranty to that effect, and that the sale was final.  The dissatisfaction lay mostly with our subsequent interaction about feedback.  (I didn't leave any, positive or negative)
That said I'm sorry to cause you distress with my comments above. If I could, I would delete them, because 8 years is indeed plenty of time to become both a better ebay seller - the professional quality of your listings and your website, in addition to your many positive feedbacks attest to that. And buyer too - now I have learned to ask questions, especially if no flaws are listed. And if photos aren't detailed enough I will occasionally ask for more.  Buying an Albert is a crapshoot! Now I have to wonder if this "angies list" of good or bad sellers is such a good idea. Bass had a terrible experience with a seller whom I had a perfectly pleasant transaction with - customer service-wise at least. Everyone has their moments - good and bad - and at the end of the day it's good to have another repairman on board who actually likes Alberts.

excellent response Electravox!
Amateur Clarinetist

GTC Rules,

www.gtcmusic.com

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Thank you all, for making my new membership and first posting a positive experience! I look forward to participating in this forum on an ongoing basis, and hope to do business with some of you good people.
 Electravox, thanks for your post. If you ever feel like taking a chance on business with me again, I will do my best to assure that it is a good transaction!
                                                              Best wishes, Jeremy

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
Hi Bass,

Thank you! Yes, ebay is a tough place to do business and we've all been burned, I'm sure, buyers and sellers. Due to their increase in fees and a customer service policy that seems to have become heavily weighted against seller's interests, I am trying to decrease my volume of business there. I hope you will check out my website when you have a moment, and any suggestions of alternate venues in which to do business would be most appreciated!

Best wishes, Jeremy

Offline saleas

• Administrator
  • GTC King
    • Soap Opera Laundry Cleveland
  • City: Cleveland, Ohio
  • First Name: George
  • Genre: Greek
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
Welcome aboard Jeremy!  

I am thrilled to see you here as a new member.  I know that you bring a lot to the table with your expertise.  I have bought two or three clarinets from you and was very happy with what I received.

As far as pricing, I find you to be a little on the low side as far as selling to an individual.  Too many people want to buy low and sell high but it doesn't always work that way.  You deserve to make a profit for the work you put into it just like anyone else does!

I am sure you will find honest and caring people here at GTC and you will respond in kind.

I will send you a PM soon as I am looking for a clarinet.  

George
George
www.soapoperalaundrycleveland.com

Nikos Kazantzakis: 

In order to succeed,
you must first believe you can!

Without music, life would Bb

Online Mporlos

• GTC King
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 02:31:07 PM »
Thank you all, for making my new membership and first posting a positive experience! I look forward to participating in this forum on an ongoing basis, and hope to do business with some of you good people.
 Electravox, thanks for your post. If you ever feel like taking a chance on business with me again, I will do my best to assure that it is a good transaction!
                                                              Best wishes, Jeremy

Jeremy ---- welcome to the GTC site (our village!) .....  :TU: :beer: ..... Mporlos

Offline electravox

• Favorite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »
Of course! :TU: :beer:
I'm all done with E-flay too. Maybe Greek or Turkish language versions of your Albert clarinet listings on your website would help. - just tossin' out ideas.  - eL3ctr@v0x

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 05:42:43 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks, as I'm moving my home and business north - to Staunton VA. My chiropractor sweetie Rachel has a better business there than I do here, so off I go! Oddly, I do more business in Europe than I do in Lynchburg, VA: never have figured that out...So, no repair work til early July, then I'll be back in action.

Thanks George - if you know a place where I can sell clarinets for more money, let me know and I'll get my butt over there :) Seriously though, I try to keep prices reasonable. My original goal with the Vintage Clarinet Doctor site was to provide refurbished wood Boehm clarinets to students and players on a budget for $400-600, as the local store has a monopoly and tends to charge way too much. Ironically, I've done far better with Alberts (maybe those other folks aren't finding my site or don't feel confident buying some of the brands I like; who knows?) so those have become an increased focus. Given the demand for Alberts, I don't know why more companies aren't offering them new for a reasonable price.

Thanks Nick....

Electra - that's a good idea. I wonder how I'd go about finding someone in Central VA who knew clarinet terms in Greek, though? Epharisto, nonetheless...

FYI

Free clarinet
lessons brought

to you by GTC

Click Here for

Advanced Lessons

PT200 Coming Soon

Website Menu

GTC Theme Song
Help
Our Mission

GTC Photo Album